Local cowboys and cowgirls finished with multiple respectable results this past weekend at the 42nd Annual Williams Lake High School Rodeo.
Close to 20 local competitors took part in events such as saddle bronc, bareback riding, goat tying, bull riding, pole bending, tie down roping, calf roping, ribbon roping, steer wrestling, breakaway roping, chute dogging, team roping and barrel racing.
The following are top-10 local results from the rodeo, which featured 148 competitors grades 6-12 (in both junior and high school divisions) from across the province and is the largest high school rodeo in B.C.:
• Girls Cutting — Kate Barnett, eighth in first go (61 points); eighth in second go (61 points).
• Boys Cutting — Chad Braaten, third in first go (62 points); second/third in second go (65 points).
• Calf Roping — Chad Braaten, third on Saturday (12.9 seconds).
• Team Roping — Chad Braaten, second on Saturday (10.7 seconds) with partner Madison Mills of Kamloops.
• Junior Boys Goat Tying — Wyatt Armes, fourth on Saturday (21.4 seconds); fifth on Sunday (22.4 seconds). Blaine Manuel, fifth on Saturday (22.7 seconds); fourth on Sunday (20.5 seconds).
• Junior Pole Bending — Melanie Wintjes, fifth on Saturday (26.261 seconds).
• Barrel Racing — Madison Smith, sixth on Saturday (16.6 seconds).
• Goat Tying — Jaime-Dean Macdonald, eighth on Saturday (10 seconds); ninth on Sunday (9.7 seconds).
• Breakaway Roping — Kaylee Billyboy, fifth on Sunday (5.1 seconds). Alyssa Goldstone-Hall, 10th on Sunday (7.6 seconds).
• Steer Wrestling — Matt Armes, third on Sunday (17.9 seconds).
In addition to hosting the Williams Lake High School Rodeo, the lakecity will also play host to the B.C. High School Rodeo Finals from June 8-10.