A group of 20 local barrel racers cinched up their saddles late September in Chilliwack to compete at the Canadian Barrel Racing Finals.
The event consisted of three days of barrel racing, with more than 200 barrel racers participating from Alberta, B.C. and the northwest U.S.
“We have a great group of barrel racers from here in Williams Lake,” said participant Carleigh King.
“It was a fantastic weekend and the Cariboo was very well represented.
“Our group of ladies are very sportsmanlike and are always cheering for one another.”
Riders came home with good-sized cheques and prizes.
Riders who had three clean runs from Williams Lake and area and placed in the average after their combined times are as follows:
2D Average Results
• Lori Rankin on Nova (50.745 seconds)
• Shawna Leblanc on Shank (51.454 seconds)
• Carleigh King on Voodoo (51.783 seconds)
• Marilyn Marklinger on Jag (52.103 seconds)
3D Average Results
• Dawnna Robertson on Babydoll (52.253 seconds)
• Janice Sapp on Sonny (52.571 seconds)
• Shaylene Tucker on Stride (52.914 seconds)
• Peggy VanWinkle on Pacman (53.167 seconds)
5D Average Results
• Lana Laird (Quesnel, 55.21 seconds – saddle winner)
Other competitors from Williams Lake were Naomi Weil, Lana Shields, Melynda Neufeld, Paige Buller, Dawnna Robertson, Bridget Rosette, Bobby Twan, Charlotte Atrill, Brady McNolty, Bailey Fuller, Raylene Poffenroth, Sloan Fuller, Paulince Brandson and Lynn Dent-Wilson.