The B.C. Rodeo Association wrapped up the 2013 rodeo season last weekend in Quesnel with its BCRA Championships Finals at the Alex Fraser Park.
“The South Quesnel Business Association and the Quesnel Rodeo Club once again did a fantastic job hosting the BC Rodeo Association Finals with three days of action-packed rodeo,” the BCRA said in a release.
“The BCRA hosted 20 rodeos throughout the province this year and the top 10 in each event competed for the prestigious title of the BCRA Finals Champion. New this year, the Finals Go-Round Champions received beautiful buckles.”
The first go-round of the finals was dedicated to breast cancer awareness with a Tough Enough to Wear Pink night.
Williams Lake and area cowboys and cowgirls were at the top of their games — bringing home not only several top finishes, but also multiple BCRA Finals Championship buckles.
Riske Creek’s Ryan Jasper, Williams Lake’s Brianna Billy and 150 Mile House’s Blaine Manuel were each crowned champions in their respective events.
Jasper claimed top honours to win the prestigious bull riding finals championship after a third-place finish in his first go (78.5 points), a no time in his second go, and a first-place ride in his third and final go of the weekend (83.5) to bring home the buckle.
Manuel, meanwhile, was busy making a name for himself as the freshly minted Junior Steer Riding Champion.
Manuel finished second in his first go (74 points), third in his second go (73 points) and first in his third go (76 points) to bring home the crown.
Billy, who finished the BCRA season as runner-up in pee wee barrel racing, rode to three blazing fast times to claim the championship buckle.
Billy posted times of 17.060 seconds, 16.964 seconds and 17.061 seconds to finish with two first-place finishes and a second-place finish on the weekend.
The following are the results from all of the other Williams Lake and area rodeo competitors who qualified for the BCRA Championship Finals:
• Allison Everett, 150 Mile House — 3.8 seconds, second place (first go); 3.7 seconds, third place (third go)
• Katrina Ilnicki, Riske Creek — 4.8 seconds, second place (second go)
• Denise Swampy, Williams Lake — 4.8 seconds, third place (first go)
Tie Down Roping
• Virgil Poffenroth, Riske Creek — 9.3 seconds, first place (first go); 9.7 seconds, second place (second go)
• Willee Twan, Alkali Lake — 12 seconds, third place (second go); 12.2 seconds, third place (third go)
• Brad Thomas, Williams Lake — 11.6 seconds, second place (third go)
• Daine Bortolussi, Williams Lake — 62 points, third place (second go)
• Colton Manuel, 150 Mile House — 77 points, third place (third go)
• Andre Aspell, 150 Mile House — 8.6 seconds, fourth place (third go)
Junior Steer Riding
• Devon Robbins, Alkali Lake — 73 points, second place (third go)
• Rikki Laviolette, Williams Lake — 71 points, third place (third go)
Junior Barrel Racing
• Callie Hume, Williams Lake — 16.805 seconds, second place (second go)
Pee Wee Barrel Racing
• Brock Everett, 150 Mile House — 18.1 seconds, fourth place (first go); 17.958 seconds, fourth place (second go)
Junior Breakaway Roping
• Jennifer Schuk, Tatla Lake — 6.5 seconds, fourth place (second go); 8.2 seconds, third place (third go)
The BCRA Awards Banquet and AGM will wrap up the season in Kamloops on Saturday, Oct. 26.
For more information or to reserve tickets contact the BCRA office at 250-398-4104 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.