The Williams Lake Blue Fins hosted a very successful meet over the weekend as more than 100 swimmers took to the Sam Ketcham Memorial Pool for the Cariboo Dental Clinic Spring Fling.
Forty-five swimmers from Prince George, 16 swimmers from Quesnel and 45 local swimmers swam their way to great results, said WLBF head coach Chad Webb.
“The meet was geared towards non-provincial swimmers so the upper age group competition was not fierce as we dominated in most of the 12 and over categories,” Webb said.
“The younger age groups saw some great competition as most of the out of town swimmers were 12 and under.”
Webb added he was impressed with the results.
“We had more than 40 swimmers at the meet and last year our club was that size, so this is a great step in the right direction,” he said.
“We had some great team spirit all weekend long and the older swimmers did a great job in helping mentor the younger swimmers.
“Our coaching staff needs to be commended as everyone swam well — especially our younger developing swimmers who are coached by Geneva Gordon, Tracey Beauchamp and many other senior swimmer volunteers.”
The top three finishers in the 12 and under racers — not including AA and AAA provincial swimmers — were:
8 and under girls
• Taylor Fitzgerald — 1st, 50m freestyle; 2nd, 100m freestyle, 1st, 50m backstroke; 1st, 50m butterfly; 3rd, 100m individual medley
• Abby Webb — 3rd, 100m freestyle; 3rd, 50m breaststroke
• Brooklyn Carrier — 3rd, 50m backstroke
• Hunter Casselton — 1st, 200m backstroke; 3rd, 50m backstroke
• Keanna Saunders — 1st, 200m breaststroke; 1st, 50m freestyle; 1st, 100m freestyle; 2nd, 200m individual medley; 2nd, 100m breaststroke; 2nd, 50m butterfly; 2nd, 100m individual medley
• Claire Brown — 1st, 50m freestyle; 2nd, 100m freestyle; 2nd, 50m backstroke
• Octavia Rusch — 2nd, 50m backstroke; 1st, 50m breaststroke
• Logan Rodgers — 3rd, 50m breaststroke
• Lindsay Sanford — 2nd, 50m butterfly
• Leif Brandson — 1st, 50m backstroke; 2nd, 200m backstroke; 2nd, 200m individual medley; 2nd, 400m freestyle; 3rd, 100m breaststroke; 3rd, 100m individual medley
• Liam McCreight — 1st, 50m freestyle; 1st, 50m breaststroke; 1st, 100m individual medley; 2nd, 200m individual medley; 2nd, 100m breaststroke
• Alexandro Brinoni — 3rd, 50m backstroke; 3rd, 50m breaststroke
• Max Paynton — 2nd, 100m freestyle; 2nd, 50m backstroke; 2nd, 50m breaststroke
• Ryan Mitchell — 1st, 50m backstroke; 1st, 50m breaststroke; 3rd, 50m butterfly
• Johnny Russell — 1st, 50m butterfly