Updates on the way for S. Lakeside

Congratulations to all the successful candidates in the provincial election.

Congratulations to all the successful candidates in the provincial election. I look forward to working with MLAs Donna Barnett and Coralee Oakes and Premier Christy Clark.

It’s nice to have a day set aside to honour our mothers, who do so much for us.

I hope everyone celebrated a happy Mother’s Day Sunday.

Great news as the tender for the South Lakeside paving and widening project has come in under budget. There is obviously a lot of work to do, and the city plans to issue weekly updates as work progresses in the coming weeks and months.

More great news with our local hospital as well.

The Cariboo Regional District has been asked to provide 40 per cent of the funding for development of a concept plan. Interior Health will provide the other 60 per cent of the cost, and will send out requests for proposals as soon as the CRD approves the expenditure.

The plan is moving forward in a concrete way, and we’ve taken another step towards the redevelopment of the hospital.

I had a tour of the newly renovated Sandman Hotel and Suites last week, and the rooms are very nice. With a swimming pool and a team kitchen, the Sandman is catering to sports teams visiting Williams Lake for games and tournaments.

It is always great to see this kind of re-investment in local businesses!

Councillors Surinderapal Rathor, Ivan Bonnell, Danica Hughes and I had a great time during McHappy Day last week, helping to raise money for Ronald McDonald Houses and other local children’s charities. Thanks to all those who donated!

I encourage everyone to participate in the St. Joseph’s Mission Residential Commemoration Project events beginning tomorrow.

The unveiling of the monument at the former St. Joseph’s site is at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, and the unveiling of the monument in Boitanio Park is at 10:30 a.m. Friday. The conference begins Thursday morning at TRU.

More details are at http://www.sjmcommemorationevents.com/.

Kerry Cook is the mayor of Williams Lake.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Chief Joe Alphonse
OP-ED: Williams Lake municipal, regional councils lack awareness on historical trauma

Systemic racism isn’t always obvious to those that are not experiencing it

A nurse performs a test on a patient at a drive-in COVID-19 clinic in Montreal, on Wednesday, October 21, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson
36 new cases of COVID-19, one death in Interior Health

The number of active cases in the region is at 366

The City of Williams Lake is asking for public feedback on whether it should explore the opportunity to host a Greater Metro Hockey League team in Williams Lake. (Angie Mindus photo - Williams Lake Tribune)
Williams Lake GMHL expansion questions, concerns, to be discussed later this month

If approved, the team would begin play in the fall of 2021

B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry head for the B.C. legislature press theatre to give a daily update on the COVID-19 pandemic, April 6, 2020. (B.C. government)
B.C. nears 300,000 COVID-19 vaccinations, essential workers next

564 new cases, four deaths, no new outbreaks Thursday

Cannabis bought in British Columbia (Ashley Wadhwani/Black Press Media)
Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

Kelowna General Hospital (File photo)
Second death reported in Kelowna General Hospital COVID-19 outbreak

A total of seven cases have been identified at the hospital: six patients and one staff

Municipal Affairs Minister Josie Osborne speaks in the B.C. legislature, March 4, 2021. (Hansard TV)
B.C. Liberals, NDP sing in harmony on local election reforms

Bill regulates paid canvassers, allows people in condo buildings

(National Emergency Management Agency)
No tsunami risk to B.C. from powerful New Zealand earthquake: officials

An 8.1 magnitude earthquake shook the north of New Zealand Thursday morning

(AP Photo/Richard Vogel, File)
Pandemic stress, isolation key factors as to why Canadians turned to cannabis, alcohol

Study found that isolation played key role in Canadians’ substance use

(File photo)
Kamloops Mountie bitten while arresting woman

The assault on March 1 is the latest in a string of incidents that have left local officers injured

Grand Forks’ Gary Smith stands in front of his Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster float. Photo: Submitted
Grand Forks’ Flying Spaghetti Monster leader still boiling over driver’s licence photo

Gary Smith, head of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster of B.C., said he has since spoken to lawyers

Most Read