Robert Everett

Robert Gerald Everett (Gerry) was born in Vancouver, B.C. to Ruth and Robert Everett along with his twin brother.

Unfortunately his twin died shortly after birth.

At the age of five, Gerry’s baby sister Susan was born. Gerry and his family remained in the Lower Mainland during the early years of his life.

At the age of 17, Gerry joined the Canadian Navy, proudly serving for three years. After his time in the Navy, Gerry went to work for his father driving fuel trucks for Standard Oil (Chevron) and highway long haul trucking.

In 1969, the birth of Gerry’s daughter, Kelly, and his love for horses gave him the desire to change careers, enrolling to school in Porterville, California to complete the study and training in horse shoeing.

Two years later Gerry moved his family to Penticton, B.C. where he began full time in horse shoeing.

In 1972, Gerry completed the vocational training program, farrier training in the B.C. Department of Education. Three years later Gerry moved back to the Lower Mainland where he continued horse shoeing and driving truck.

Gerry and his daughter, Kelly, moved to Williams Lake in 1980 to start their new life together. They bought a house with property and got into the horse side of life.

Gerry gave up trucking to be home at night with his daughter, and horse shoeing became his career, something he took extreme pride in.

Not only was he one of the best, he was a scientist in understanding the foot and legs of the horse. Gerry was asked to teach the horse shoeing course at the University of Saskatchewan, but never got to fulfill that goal.

Gerry had three grandchildren come into his life: Takeena in 1991, Jordan in 1992, and Kolton in 1955.

His grandchildren were the apple of his eyes. He bought each of his grandchildren their own horses, so they could enjoy the animal as much as he and his daughter had. His grandchildren will be taking on the responsibility of their papa’s joy (the horses) in Creston, B.C.

In 1997, Gerry had a severe stroke, which disabled his ability to go back to the career and lifestyle he loved.

He learned over time to walk and talk beyond anyone’s expectations. He was determined to get back to the life he loved, and continued living life to the best and fullest with his daily struggles.

He continued hunting with and thanks to his close friends, got to ride horses a couple of times and enjoyed the company of living with his mother and having time with his grandchildren at his place and theirs.

Gerry unfortunately was rushed to VGH hospital on Christmas Day, 2007. Unfortunately Gerry was unable to recover and passed away on Jan. 4 with his daughter and son-in-law at his side.

Gerry will never be forgotten … he was a man of many jokes, stories and drinks. He loved his friends, his careers, his customers, his horses, dogs and cat and mostly his family.

The guy we loved and will always remember … Our hero, our #1 redneck

The Everett/Moore family would like to thank the hospital staff for their efforts and professionalism (Cariboo Memorial and VGH), the friends who went those extra miles to help and support the family and to everyone who sent flowers, cards and food. Finding the right words to show our appreciation is almost impossible. Thank You.

Your condolences will be approved within one business day. You will need a valid Facebook account. Please email us if you have any questions.