Skip to content

Everett Gordon Resvick

July 30, 2003

Everett Gordon Resvick of 150 Mile House passed into the safe arms of our Lord on July 30, 2003, after a 10-year battle with Alzheimer’s disease. His loving family now knows that he is resting peacefully.

Gordon will be greatly missed by all who knew him. He is survived by his wife Bertha, daughter Linda Rowse at 150 Mile House, sons Gordon Jr. in Pender Island and Barry in Surrey, brother Bill in Calgary, sister Genevieve Bjerstedt in Toronto, grandchildren James Jr., Julie Ashley, Jordon, Troy, Kyle, and great grandchildren Miranda, Zack, Joshua, and Rachel.

Gordon was born on April 30, 1919 on Wiwa Hill, Saskatchewan to Nels and Anna Resvick. He grew up in a family of 10 children on a large farm near Bateman, Saskatchewan. During his youth he ran a trap line, broke horses, operated all types of farm equipment, played many sports (especially hockey and baseball), loved to dance and participated fully in his community.

His formal schooling ended early as his dad, Nels, died when he was 16 and he became largely responsible for the family farm.

Gordon met Bertha at the Anglican Church in Wiwa Hill when he was the president of Young Peoples and Bertha was the secretary. This was the beginning of a lifelong relationship and love. They were married in Wiwa Hill on November 4, 1940 and soon moved to Calgary. It was not long after that that Pearl Harbour was bombed and Gordon volunteered for the Canadian Armed Forces. He trained as a mechanic and was expecting to serve overseas. However, he was injured during his training was was given a medical discharge.

Shortly after this, Gordon and Bertha returned to Calgary and Gordon began work as a mechanic. It was at this time that their son, Gordon Jr., was born. After a few years the family moved to Vauxhall, Alberta where Gordon started his own trucking company. The family then grew by one more as Barry, the second son, was born. In 1952, the family moved to Victoria, B.C. and soon thereafter Linda, their only daughter, was born and the family was complete. It was then on to Glen Lake and Happy Valley outside Victoria, where Gordon started his own service station.

Here he spent eight years working hard, raising a family and becoming a number one mechanic. In 1960, the family moved to Vancouver where Gordon worked at his brother Harold’s service station.

An important moment in his life was when he was accepted as a brother in the Lodge of Free Masons in 1964.

In 1965, Gordon and Bertha became the managers of the Fraser Villa Apartments in Vancouver while Gordon recuperated from a work-related injury. In 1969, the family moved to 59th and Fraser in Vancouver and Gordon became the service sales manager at Eagle Ford in Burnaby, B.C. In 1971 he moved on to the same position at Jacobsen Motors in Richmond, B.C. In 1973, Gordon began working at the Provincial Motor Vehicle Testing Station in Burnaby.

In 1980, Gordon retired and he and Bertha moved to 150 Mile House and became the first caretakers of the Miocene Community Hall. As quoted from Ross McCoubrey, the president of the community club and long-time friend of Gordon:

“Gordon’s diligence and hard-working attitude set a benchmark for all others to follow. Gordon did his job with pride and was always a welcoming and caring man.”

Gordon spent his later years living and helping on his daughter and son-in-law’s hobby farm on the Likely Road. Sadly, in 1993, Gordon was overcome by Alzheimer’s and entered Heritage House Extended Care Unit in Williams Lake. While there, he received unsurpassed care. The loving and caring attitude of all the workers there will always be remembered. The family would like to offer heartfelt thanks to all the care workers and the community for providing such a wonderful care facility for Alzheimer’s patients. Also, a big thank you to the Williams Lake Hospice Society and Luc LaPrairie for their welcome support in the final days.

Gordon will be remembered as a smiling and happy sweetheart by all who knew him. He will always live on in the smiles and mannerisms of his children and grandchildren. Gordon’s wish was for cremation and a Celebration of Life on the farm he cherished. This event occurred on Tuesday, August 5.

We apologize to those who may have wished to be there but, because of the expediency of the event, not all could be notified.

In lieu of flowers, donations to the 139 Children’s Society or the Alzheimer’s Society in Gordon’s memory would be treasured.

Your condolences will be approved within one business day. You will need a valid Facebook account. Please email us if you have any questions.