Environmental Protection Notice • Cariboo Gold Project
Application for Approval under the Mines Act and Environmental Management Act
Barkerville Gold Mines Ltd., a wholly owned subsidiary of Osisko Development Corp. (ODV), located at 3700 Ski Hill Road, Wells, BC V0K 2R0, is seeking provincial authorizations pursuant to the Mines Act and Environmental Management Act (EMA) for activities associated with the proposed development of the Cariboo Gold Project, an underground gold mine. The Major Mines Office (MMO) of the Ministry of Energy, Mines and Low Carbon Innovation (EMLI) is leading a coordinated authorizations review for the Major Works on behalf of EMLI and the Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Strategy (ENV). The Project was granted an Environmental Assessment Certificate (#M23-01) on October 10, 2023.
The Cariboo Gold Project is comprised of three locations:
As part of the Cariboo Gold Project, ODV is seeking one new authorization for discharging effluent from the Mine Site Complex and amendments to two existing authorizations for discharging mine effluent from the Bonanza Ledge Mine and the QR Mill, as described below:
1. New discharge permit for Cariboo Gold Project Mine Site Complex
• Discharge of treated effluent from the Cariboo Gold Project Mine Site Complex (MSC) proposed water treatment plant (WTP) to Jack of Clubs Lake.
• The proposed maximum discharge rate to Jack of Clubs Lake is 480 m3/hr.
2. Amendment to the existing effluent discharge permit (PE-17876) for Bonanza Ledge Mine (including the Cow Portal area)
• No changes are proposed for the discharge locations identified in PE-17876. Contact water at Bonanza Ledge will be collected in the Bonanza Ledge Sediment Control Pond prior to being conveyed to and treated at the Bonanza Ledge WTP and discharged to Lowhee Creek at a proposed maximum rate of 201 m3/hr.
• Proposed discharge limits are consistent with the limits associated with effluent discharge permit PE-17876.
3. Amendment to the existing effluent discharge permit (PE-12601) for QR Mill
• No change to the proposed discharge location to Rudy Creek from a new water treatment plant that will replace the existing water treatment system. Treated contact water will be discharged at a proposed maximum rate of 87 m3/hr.
• Proposed discharge limits are consistent with the limits associated with effluent discharge permit PE-12601.
As of November 2, 2023 the Application has been submitted in full and consists of:
• Chapter 1 – Introduction and Project Overview
• Chapter 2 – Baseline Information
• Chapter 3 – Mine Plan
• Chapter 4 – Reclamation and Closure Plan
• Chapter 5A – Modelling, Mitigation and Discharges, Mine Site Complex
• Chapter 5B – Modelling, Mitigation and Discharges, Bonanza Ledge
• Chapter 5C – Modelling, Mitigation and Discharges, QR Mill
• Chapter 6A – Environmental Assessment Predictions, Mine Site Complex
• Chapter 6B – Environmental Assessment Predictions, Bonanza Ledge
• Chapter 6C – Environmental Assessment Predictions, QR Mill
• Chapter 6D – Environmental Assessment Predictions, Terrestrial Resources
• Chapter 7 – Environmental Monitoring
• Chapter 8 – Health and Safety
• Chapter 9 – Management Plans
The Application documents are available for review at BC Mine Information website: https://mines.nrs.gov.bc.ca/p/6542d850dc00aa001b11a77b/overview.
If you have any issues accessing the application, please contact Mohammad Vahedifar Mohammad.firstname.lastname@example.org at Major Mines office.
EMLI and ENV are inviting the public to comment on the Joint Mines Act and Environmental Management Act Application. The public comment period will run from November 9 to December 11, 2023. Comments may be submitted via email to PERMRECL@gov.bc.ca or by letter to:
Major Mines Office, Ministry of Energy, Mines and Low Carbon Innovation, PO Box 9320 Stn Prov Govt , Victoria BC, V8W 9N3
Following the public comment period, a Public Engagement Summary document will be published.
Please note that comments which contain vulgarity will not be accepted. The identity of any respondents and the contents of anything submitted in relation to this application will become part of the public record.
Dated this 8th day of November 2023
Contact person: Kelsey Dodd
Email address: email@example.com