Williams Lake RCMP respond to approximately 80 calls during the weekend

Over the Jan. 24-26 weekend, Williams Lake RCMP responded to approximately 80 calls for service

  • Jan. 27, 2014 8:00 a.m.

Over the Jan. 24-26 weekend, Williams Lake RCMP responded to approximately 80 calls for service ranging from reports of thefts, assaults, mischief, impaired driving and general assistance.

Saturday, Jan. 25

At approximately 1:11 a.m. a 911 call was received by police dispatch.  There was no response from the caller although background conversation overheard suggested the caller or someone else was in some distress.   As a result the cell phone call was traced by the dispatcher to Carson Drive and 5th Avenue in Williams Lake.

Police attended scene and located four males who looked to be in distress standing at the side of the road. Police spoke with the males who said they had been bear sprayed. The males went on to say that they were walking home from a liquor establishment when three other males approached them, unprovoked, and one of the three bear sprayed them.

The perpetrator who bear sprayed them was wearing a brown hoodie and called himself “Bolton.” Because the victims were displaying varying affects of bear spray, Emergency Health Services attended and provided medical assistance.

The perpetrator of the offence was not located.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Williams Lake RCMP or Crimestoppers.

At approximately 4:19 a.m., while responding to a reported fight at 605 Carson Drive, police attended an apartment at 605 Carson as the assailants were reported to have run into an apartment at that location.

Upon entering the apartment police were confronted with a group of violent males who immediately attempted to assault and disarm the attending police officers.

After a significant altercation between police and the perpetrators, three males were taken into custody and are being held for court on charges related to the altercation, including assaulting a police officer and obstruction.

Sunday, Jan. 25

At 10:11 a.m. police responded to a report that a vehicle was stolen and a second vehicle was broken into and had damage to the ignition.

The stolen vehicle, a grey 1994 Jeep Cherokee, had been stolen from the carport.  The vehicle was last seen at approximately 3:45 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 25 and was noticed missing minutes before the call to police.

The second vehicle was a silver 2000 Jeep Cherokee.

Access to this vehicle was made by breaking the window on the driver side rear door.

The suspect then reached in and unlocked the rear door, opened it and unlocked the front door. There was significant damage to both the steering column and ignition.

Neighbourhood enquiries were unsuccessful in identifying the perpetrator.

At 11:35 a.m. police responded to a report that somebody tried to steal a black 2009 Ford Ranger from a residence on 5th Avenue.

The passenger window was smashed out and there was a small dent along the window frame.

Broken glass was still on the ground and in the passenger compartment/seat. The glove box had been rifled through but nothing was reportedly missing.

The ignition guard was removed and there was damage to the ignition. The vehicle could not be started given it is equipped with a passive immobilizer.

The end of a screwdriver handle was left behind by the suspect.

The owner of the vehicle stated that the attempted theft occurred sometime over the night.

At 4:36 p.m. police received a call a male wearing a light coloured jacket and black pants was breaking into a fabricating business on Mackenzie Avenue.

Police attended and found the door on the construction trailer ajar, inside police located the suspect male matching the description given by the witness.

The perpetrator was taken into custody and later released to appear in court on charges related to the incident.

At 11:27 p.m., police attended a residence on Edwards Dr. in response to a complaint that someone had tried to steal a truck.

There were no signs of forced entry to the vehicle however a rock and screw driver were observed on the seat. The ignition was damaged heavily.  Nothing else reported stolen.

No suspects have been identified.