The District of 100 Mile House has lifted its boil water advisory.
The advisory was issued June 7, due to a loss of water and potential contamination.
After isolating the reason for the pressure loss late Tuesday afternoon, the public works department undertook flushing and testing of the system as quickly as possible, according to the district. Testing of water samples on Wednesday and Thursday – 24 hours apart – have indicated the water is safe to drink, meeting Interior Health’s criteria for lifting the notice.
The District thanked District firefighters, administrative staff, the public works department, the South Cariboo Search and Rescue volunteers, and the 100 Mile House community for their assistance and understanding.
The District of 100 Mile House remains on a boil water advisory following a water line break Tuesday that resulted in the loss of an estimated 600,000 litres of water from the 99 Mile reservoir.
Todd Conway, director of community services, said Wednesday they had isolated the water leak – found near Peter Skene Ogden Secondary – and restored the municipal water system.
“The system is back up and running 100 per cent,” he said. “It’s business as usual.”
However, residents are advised to continue boiling their water until tests have been conducted 24 hours apart to ensure it’s safe to drink, due to potential contamination from dirt and other sediments. Tap water should be brought to a rolling boil for at least one minute.
The district expects the boil water advisory to be lifted by next week. In the meantime, it will continue to provide bottled and bulk water at a temporary water distribution site at the South Cariboo Rec Centre. Residents can bring their own containers to be filled from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. or access bottled water at any time.
Conway said the district became aware of the major water loss around 11 a.m. Tuesday after a “low water level” alarm went off at the 99 Mile reservoir. The reservoir was quickly drained to about 10 per cent.
“Once that happened we had all hands on deck looking for water main leaks throughout the whole district,” Conway said.
As the district activated its Emergency Operations Centre, firefighters and Search and Rescue went door-to-door, ensuring all residents were aware of the situation. The boil water advisory was issued following consultation with Interior Health.
A young resident tipped the district to the leak in an irrigation line around 6:30 p.m., after seeing pooling water on a bank near PSO.
The District said its water system does not appear to have suffered any damage or malfunction.
Mayor Mitch Campsall commended the resident who notified them, as well as the firefighters, search and rescue members and district staff, who “worked tirelessly through the day to find solutions and minimize impacts to our residents.
“Our residents also deserve thanks, for their cooperation and patience with this unusual situation,” he said. “100 Mile stepped up yet again.”
Water in the district’s three reservoirs comes from municipal wells and is treated at a local water treatment facility.