Sargent inquest closes

The inquest into the death of Blaine Conrad Sargent has found he died of a methamphetamine overdose and classified the death as accidental.

A seven-person jury participating in the public inquest into the death of 19-year-old Blaine Conrad Sargent has found Sargent died of a methamphetamine overdose and has classified his death as accidental.

On Wednesday, May 8, at the courthouse in Williams Lake, the jury shared its verdict and recommendations after hearing from and questioning 24 witnesses between May 6 and 8.

Sargent died at the University Hospital of Northern British Columbia on Sept. 21, 2011.

He had been taken to hospital after going into medical distress at the Prince George Regional Correctional Centre a short time after returning from a court appearance in Williams Lake.

The jury made nine recommendations to Sentry Health Services, BC Corrections and Sheriffs, and the RCMP.

A spokesperson for the jury also offered condolences to family members who attended the three-day inquest.