The Williams Lake Salvation Army was briefly evacuated Wednesday, Nov. 25 to vent fumes following a chemical reaction.
Williams Lake Fire Chief Erick Peterson said six members responded to safely inspect and ventilate the building shortly after 11 a.m. when an employee reported strong chemical odors.
Tamara Robinson of the Salvation Army later clarified to the Tribune the incident happened after a plumber used their own chemical to deal with a clogged toilet.
“(The staff) took immediate action to reduce risk to clients and staff, called proper authorities to rectify the issue,” Robinson noted, adding her staff are fully trained with Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHIMIS).
No one was injured.
The fire department was on scene for approximately 45 minutes.
This is an extremely busy time of year for the Salvation Army, with staff trying to meet many pressing needs in the community. Volunteers are needed for Christmas kettles. Donations of food, toys and cash are also needed to help vulnerable residents.
Editor’s note: This story has been updated, and also corrected to note the staff did not mix cleaning supplies.