During the weekend the Williams Lake RCMP detachment members responded to 65 calls for service, including a house fire and robbery of a business.
In his weekend roundup, Sgt. Rick LeBeuf highlighted some of the calls.
Boitanio Mall security reported that an intoxicated male was in the upstairs bathroom. Officers attended and located a mildly intoxicated 26-year-old male attempting to wash bear spray off himself. BC Ambulance were called and assisted the male with the de-contamination process. Because of the male’s lack of co-operation the officers unable to take any further action.
At 9:00 a.m., a lone male entered the 7-11 located at 320 Proctor Street, brandishing a knife and with his face partially covered with a bandana, and demanded money. After receiving an undisclosed amount of cash, the male fled the store on foot. He is described as native, with short black hair, approximately 6 feet tall with an average build.
The same person is also the suspect in a robbery attempt at Movies on the Go, later that day. At 9:55 p.m. a male, also brandishing a knife and wearing a bandana, entered the store and demanded money. However, when an employee challenged him the suspect fled and no money was obtained. The description of him is similar to the 7-11 robbery, although he was wearing different clothing.
RCMP are requesting anyone with information on this robbery to phone the detachment at 250-392-6211 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
At 3:06 p.m. police responded to a report of a break and enter to a house in the 400 block of Dodwell Street. The homeowners advised upon returning from holidays they discovered their residence had been entered. Taken from the residence were an Asus laptop computer, a diamond heart pendant, a locket, and a Pandora bracelet. The matter is still under investigation.
Moments before midnight the RCMP responded to a report of a house fire at Highway 20 and Hinsche Rd. (141 Mile). Police arrived on scene to find the residence fully engulfed, but all residents were accounted for a safe distance away. No foul play is suspected and it is believed the fire started in the electrical panel. Because the residence fell outside of local fire coverage area the fire was monitored by the RCMP and the Ministry of Forests.