While it was a fairly quiet August long weekend for the Williams Lake Fire Department, fire chief Randy Isfeld says the department attended four incidents.
“On Aug. 4 we had a call for an aircraft standby at the airport. A Jazz Light heading to Prince George ran into some problems with a battery overheating so there was a forced landing here in Williams Lake and we were called on standby,” Isfeld says, adding it was basically a non-incident.
When the fire department arrived, all of the passengers were being disembarked while the battery was being repaired.
The evening of Aug. 6, the department responded to a fire near White Road at 9:30 p.m.
“There’s a power line that crosses the road and back a few hundred yards is a spot that’s been, over the years, a popular spot for teens to hang out. They had a large bonfire going there. The fire got out of hand and had some huge potential for a forest fire,” Isfeld explains.
Responding to the location wasn’t too difficult, as the fire department was able to bring its smaller bush truck in to put the fire out.
The pumper showed up later with a crew and shovels to help extinguish the fire.
Later that evening a carbon monoxide alarm went off at a building, but proved to be a false alarm, while early Aug. 7 at 4:30 a.m., the department responded to a vehicle fire on Mackenzie Avenue.
“The vehicle had been sitting in a parking lot for a number of years. The RCMP are investigating that one,” Isfeld says.