Mobile home damaged in Tuesday fire

A trailer fire on Dog Creek Road was started by a vehicle, according to the Williams Lake Fire Department.

A trailer fire on Dog Creek Road was started by a vehicle that rolled backwards hitting the home’s natural gas line, according to the Williams Lake Fire Department.

The department says it was alerted to the emergency by Fortis Gas, which was called to a gas leak at the property at 1017 Dog Creek Road at 11:40 a.m., Nov. 15.

“A vehicle that was beside the trailer was running and somehow must have slipped out of park and rolled back and hit the natural gas meter set of the trailer because it knocked it off above where it went into the house,” said fire chief Randy Isfeld.

The escaping gas, he said, ignited and caught the trailer on fire, moving from outside the trailer into the wall and inside one of the home’s side rooms.

“By the time we got there, there was substantial amount of smoke coming from the back of the trailer and out the front door,” he said.

The truck involved sustained some damage to the tail light area.

The home was rented and there was no contents insurance; however, the structure itself was insured. Isfeld was unaware of the amount of damage done to the home but said there was a “substantial” amount of heat and smoke damage.

No one was hurt in the blaze.

Neighbour Rachel Jeff is asking for donations for the family that can be dropped off at Kwaleen Elementary School or by calling 250-392-3178 or Crystal Charleyboy at 250-305-1106.