Victoria Police. (Nina Grossman/ News Staff)

Northern B.C. man faces multiple charges after hatchet attack, robbery in Victoria

Victoria, Saanich police team up to arrest wanted Fort Nelson man

A Fort Nelson man is in custody and faces numerous charges after a Victoria store was robbed and a man attacked with a hatchet.

On Nov. 1, VicPD officers were called to a business in the 1900-block of Oak Bay Avenue for a report of a robbery. When officers arrived the victims and witnesses reported the male suspect had entered the business and began carrying various items. One of the items the suspect retrieved was a hatchet. When the suspect attempted to leave the store without paying, an employee tried to stop him. The suspect then allegedly attacked the employee with the hatchet, resulting in non-life-threatening injuries. Police say two customers stepped in and the suspect was disarmed.

The suspect then re-entered the store and allegedly grabbed the Remembrance Day Poppy box from the counter while confronting the injured store employee. During this exchange, another staff member intervened. The suspect allegedly assaulted him, causing non-life-threatening injuries.

READ ALSO: Tourists allegedly take dog from Tofino, owner pleads for help getting it back

The suspect was able to flee the store but was closely followed by the store manager. The suspect then confronted the store manager with a large rock. The store manager moved to a safe distance but lost sight of the suspect before responding officers arrived on scene. A search of the area was unsuccessful.

Officers recognized the suspect from surveillance video and discovered he was wanted on B.C.-wide warrants for sexual interference, sexual assault, assaulting a police officer, assault, uttering threats, mischief, obstructing a police officer and breaching a recognizance.

VicPD major crime detectives took over the investigation and a suspect was taken into custody without incident by the Saanich Police Department’s K9 unit on Tuesday.

Gary Reno faces charges of weapons possession, robbery and assault causing bodily harm, as well as charges related to his outstanding warrants.



c.vanreeuwyk@blackpress.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Try reading to your baby to develop language

The Books for Babies program has been giving new book bags to new parents in the Cariboo since 2001

Youth Discover the Trades coming up in February for SD27 students

Around 80 Grade 7 students will be getting hands-on trade experience at TRU

Brock Hoyer settles for fifth place in Snow BikeCross at X Games

The lakecity athlete rode hard but was fouled up by loose snow in the third lap

World Religion Day an inclusive, well-attended offering

“It was fabulous,” he said. “Last year’s turnout was decent. But this year was quite wonderful.”

Officials reaching out to those in contact with Canada’s first coronavirus patient

The illness has sickened at least 1,975 people and killed 56 in China

Risk of coronavirus low in B.C. as first case emerges in Toronto: officials

There have been no confirmed cases of the virus in B.C.

‘Presumptive case’ of coronavirus in Canada confirmed by Ontario doctors

Man in his 50s felt ill on his return to Canada from Wuhan, China

People knowingly take fentanyl so make policy changes to reduce harm: B.C. study

Dr. Jane Buxton, an epidemiologist at the centre, says drug users need more resources,

‘My heart is going to bleed’: Bodies brought back to Canada following Iran plane crash

Remains of Sahar Haghjoo, 37, and her eight-year-old daughter, Elsa Jadidi, were identified last weekend

BCLC opens novelty bet on Harry and Meghan moving to the west coast

Meanwhile, real estate agency points to four possible homes for the family

Coastal GasLink work camp in Vanderhoof gets approved by the ALC

The work camp behind the Vanderhoof airport was first rejected by the commission in October last year

Canada slips in global corruption ranking in aftermath of SNC-Lavalin scandal

The country obtained a score of 77, which places it at the top in the Americas

Wuhan bans cars, Hong Kong closes schools as coronavirus spreads

Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam said her government will raise its response level to emergency, highest one

Most Read