A home on Huston Street received extensive damage and its tenants are out of home after a kitchen fire spread quickly through the house Monday evening.
Ralph Keam had rented the upstairs suite in the home for the past two years and said his family and the family renting the basement suite had just enough time to get out of the house before it erupted in flames just after 6 p.m.
“Nothing you can do about it now,” said Keam, who was already given the keys to another rental unit by the property manager.
“I guess we’ll be scrambling for a while to try and find some furniture and clothing.”
Keam is a single father to two girls, ages 7 and twelve, and a 16-year-old son.
He said the basement tenants were cooking at the time of the fire and were able to warn them to get out.
Emergency crews were still on scene at 7:50 p.m. Monday evening ensuring the blaze was out.
Anyone wanting to donate to the family can do so by contacting the Williams Lake Tribune office at 188 N 1st Avenue.
While Keam was standing outside the fire, a neighbour had already offered the family a couch.