The Williams Lake Fire Department responded early Monday to a call from a home in the 1100 block of 12th Avenue North.
“A call came in for a structure fire at about 4:30 a.m.,” Assistant Chief Rob Warnock said. “It turned out the furnace motor had a problem and sucked a bunch of smoke through the whole house.”
The fire department turned the furnace and gas off and left it with the homeowners, Warnock said, noting the incident comes as a timely reminder for homeowners to prepare for the season.
“It is very important that people maintain their furnaces, fireplaces, and pellet stoves,” he said. “Clean out your chimneys. If you use them, they should be cleaned out once a month.”