The Williams Lake Fire Department, RCMP and BC Ambulance Service responded to a house fire at 925 Pigeon Ave. just after 1 p.m. Friday.
Homeowner Edgar Preeper, 83, was at home with his daughter, Heather Preeper, and granddaughter Katrina when the fire started.
Daughter-in-law Tiki Preeper was the first to arrive on the scene.
“I had just done a bank deposit for work when Heather called me and told me there was a fire at the house,” said Tiki as she watched the fire department working at the scene.
Edgar, Heather and Katrina were transported to Cariboo Memorial Hospital by BC Ambulance to be checked for smoke inhalation and later released.
On Monday Tiki told the Tribune they were all OK.
Edgar had just returned home Thursday evening from being at St. Paul’s Hospital in Vancouver where he’d had a stint put in his legs. His daughter Sharon was living with him at the house.
Fire Chief Des Webster said there’s no exact cause but the fire appears to have started on the deck at the rear.
For now Edgar is staying with family in town, but he wants to rebuild, Tiki said.