Williams Lake and District Credit Union is celebrating 60 years in the community.
With cake, served by former board member Jim Fraser, a barbecue, and an historical display, staff and board members greeted customers and the public to its Third Avenue North location on Oct. 18 to mark the milestone.
First incorporated on Sept. 3, 1952, when one of its founding members J. Earl Brown was acting secretary and later treasurer, the credit union spent its first 15 years operating out of various venues.
During those years it called places such as Cariboo Home Furnishings and Lakeside Building Supplies Ltd. home.
In June 1967, Lido E. Doratti was appointed the first full-time manager of the credit union and seven months later, the credit union moved to its first permanent location on First Avenue.
When Peter Fradette arrived in 1971, as the new general manager, interest rates had reached a high, and the Williams Lake and District Credit Union had to increase its interest on loans to 15 per cent.
Since Sept. 24, 1976, the credit union has been located where it stands today.
In 1996, under the direction of general manager Bill Collins, the building underwent extensive renovations.
The new chief executive officer, Jim Zimmerman, has been on the job since Aug. 1.
He moved here from Saskatchewan with his family.