Open houses are being held across the region about the Cariboo Regional District’s proposed options for future recycling and composting programs, as well as improvements to transfer stations and landfills.
The open houses are being held as part of the process to update the region’s Solid Waste Management Plan, as required by the Ministry of Environment.
Key options to be presented at the open houses for feedback include: increase convenient access to recycling, including controlling sites to reduce contamination and clean-up costs; develop “one-stop” Eco-depots for convenient recycling of products such as electronics, paint, waste oil, batteries and household hazardous wastes; gauge public interest for yard or food scraps collection and composting; improve education and enforcement programs; get input on “user-pay” programs and tipping fees; manage wood waste; investigate waste-to-energy options.
Meetings in local areas will be held on the following dates and locations:
• Williams Lake, on Tuesday, Sept. 13 from 4-8 p.m., with a presentation at 7 p.m., in the CRD board room.
• Nimpo Lake: Wednesday, Sept. 21 from 7-9 p.m., with a presentation at 7: 30 p.m., at the Nimpo Lake Community Hall.
• Alexis Creek: Thursday, Sept. 22 from 7-9 p.m., with a presentation at 7:30 p.m., at the Alexis Creek Community Hall.
• 150 Mile House: 2-5 p.m., with a presentation at 3 p.m., at the 150 Mile House Fire Hall.
• Wildwood: Saturday, Oct. 1 from 2-5 p.m., with a presentation at 3 p.m., at the Wildwood School
• Lac La Hache: Tuesday, Oct. 4 from 7-9 p.m., with a presentation at 7:30 p.m., at the Lac La Hache Community Hall.
• Mountview/Dog Creek area: Saturday, Oct. 8 from 2-5 p.m., with a presentation at 7 p.m., at the Rod and Gun Club.
Other meetings will be held in Quesnel, 100 Mile House, Forest Grove, Lone Butte, Inter-Lakes, and Baker Creek.
For more information, contact the CRD at 250-392-3351 or 1-800-665-1636. Information about the meetings along with a full schedule of events is available online at www.cariboord.bc.ca or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.