The Cariboo Regional District board endorsed several grant applications for funding through the Northern Development Initiative Trust (NDIT) during their regular meeting Friday, Dec. 16.
NDIT requires all grant applicants to secure a resolution of support from their local government.
• The board supports the Xeni Gwet’in First Nation’s request for $250,000 towards phase two of their Community Electrification Renewable Energy Project.
Xeni Gwet’in First Nation would use the funding to develop an electrical micro grid system to provide numerous on-reserve residences with renewable power.
• The Regional District endorsed a grant application from the Wells Wheels ATV Club for up to $30,000. The group intends to use the funding to construct a motorized ATV trail between Wells and Barkerville.
• Barkerville Heritage Trust’s request to NDIT for $250,000 in grant funding met with approval from CRD Directors. Barkerville will use the grant to complete phases two and three of its Shamrock Cottages project, which involves the construction of five new cottage units within Barkerville Historic Town, a fenced playground, picnic area and a wheelchair accessible trail.
Two applications for electoral area discretionary funds were also endorsed.
• An application for $200 in discretionary funds from Electoral Area D was endorsed for the Wildwood Community and Recreation Association’s awards night.
• The directors allocated $2,800 of Electoral Area C discretionary funds for the replacement of two pit toilets at the Barlow Creek Recreation Site.