Gary Young is running as an independent candidate in the Cariboo-Chilcotin.
He submitted this information to the Tribune as his running platform.
Platform: partial 17 of 45.
Let’s get rid of a few things that are bad for voters, taxpayers and BC and start with these:
1. Banning all corp/union donations immediately as parties are collecting them as we speak
2. Eliminate the transfer tax on primary residence sales, new and used and ensure closing of the “trust” loophole. Eliminate the same tax on used vehicles, boats, aircraft.
3. As the only province still charging MSP premiums, let’s get rid of them starting immediately with all Canadian residents in B.C. who are over 65.
4. Dissolve the Pacific Carbon Trust within three months and an immediate halt to any payouts.
5. No raw log exports immediately. All such logs currently do not meet “export” criteria and should be directed to B.C. mills for value added products. Addition-l taxes to support reforestation efforts.
6. Increase taxes on large resource corporations by two per cent per year for three years. Redirect this tax to investment in forestry, reforestation.
7. Reinstate and increase taxes on financial institutions. Tax to general Revenue.
8. Increase import tax on all alcohol coming into B.C. B.C. produced products exempt. Additional revenue goes to Health Care.
9. Tax all coal exports, eliminate all gas/oil subsidies and this funding goes directly to Education. Government and BCTF to jointly agree on this spending.
10. Look to decriminlizing of marijuana and taxing same. Law changes to be authored by Government, Judiciary, Health officials and Law Enforcement. Taxes to general revenue.
11. Restore oversight of B.C. Utilities Commission and add insulation to prevent government interference
12. More direct and indirect support of seniors care to provide better home based care, review 141 Kim Carter recommendations and work with her to implement.
13. Review FOI to improve on the amount of information available, reduce “blacked out” portions, and shorten time frames. Public information is the focus. We have a right to know how govt works.
14. Reduce to eliminate large corporate timber interests. Look to smaller local timber companies for allocations. No owning of property, limited time for harvesting, full replanting. All reforestation with B.C. seedlings and replanted by B.C. companies, preferably Canadian.
15. Restore apprenticeship programs and expand to small business management. Apprenticeship programs to be co-authored by government and stakeholders.
16. Reduce taxes to some small business enterprises.
17. Move to instate electronic voting. Costs would go down. Referendums introduced to get voter reaction to controversial issues. i.e. additional taxes, major projects.