Canadian flags are seen on the Office of the Prime Minister and Privy Council as tourists take photos on Parliament Hill before Canada Day, in Ottawa on June 27, 2019. Canada’s tourism industry is bracing for the possible impact of the novel coronavirus on the number of visitors to the country this summer travel season. Some experts are already seeing a change in the number of people coming to Canada from overseas, particularly from China — the second largest long-haul market for Canada-bound tourists and the epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang

B.C. tourism group says bookings from China down 70% amid COVID-19 fears

Destination BC says bookings are down from China by about 70 per cent between March and October

Canada’s tourism industry is bracing for the impact of the novel coronavirus on the number of foreign visitors this summer travel season.

Some people in the industry are already seeing a change in the number of people coming from overseas, particularly from China — the second-largest long-haul market for Canada-bound tourists and where the outbreak began.

“Bookings are down from China by about 70 per cent between March and October, so that’s obviously quite considerable,” said Maya Lange, the vice-president of global marketing with Destination BC, a Crown corporation focused on attracting visitors to the province.

Several airlines have restricted the number of flights to the country, and some people have had difficulties getting visas due to temporary closures at some application centres.

Several Canadian tourism marketing agencies have pulled all their ad money from China and are using it to double down on efforts to attract people from other markets like the United States and United Kingdom.

According to Statistics Canada, there were 571,000 tourist arrivals from China in 2019.

“In the past, in any one of our markets, when exceptional circumstances have occurred, we have taken similar actions to ensure our tourism marketing efforts are impactful,” said Tess Messmer, a spokeswoman for Destination Canada, a Crown corporation focused on marketing Canada abroad.

The corporation said China remains an important market and it will still work with online travel agencies and travel media there.

Tourism Ottawa has also pulled its ad dollars out of China, but said it hopes to maintain a relationship with Chinese tour providers and other contacts.

“We know that this will end at some point and we want to continue the relationship, we don’t want to abandon the gains that we’ve made in any markets,” said spokeswoman Jantine Van Kregten.

Meanwhile the virus has spread from China to more than 70 countries, and the situation continues to change by the day.

Chinese travellers, while heavily sought after by the Canadian tourism industry, still make up a relatively small portion of Canada’s annual visitors, Lange said.

She is expected to give a presentation to members of British Columbia’s tourism industry Wednesday, with a focus on what to expect if the coronavirus continues to spread globally.

She said during the SARS outbreak in 2003, tourists from within Canada and the U.S. still vacationed.

“So we do think those markets will continue to travel, obviously if Canada continues as a safe destination,” she said.

Canada is still considered a safe place to visit, with a low risk of transmission of the virus.

So far, 33 cases of the virus have been confirmed domestically, with 20 in Ontario, 12 in B.C. and one case in Quebec. All of them have been linked to people who have recently returned from abroad and their close contacts.

Health Minister Patty Hajdu said the federal government is preparing for a large influx of international travellers during the upcoming tourist season, but was not specific about those plans.

As for festivals and other large events, federal and provincial health authorities in Ontario and British Columbia have so far not issued special instructions about large gatherings like events and festivals, calling it “business as usual.”

“If there’s a need to change that, it will be a conversation with the federal government, provincial government, and something we’ll look at locally based on the risk of the infection and the benefits of maintaining societal functioning,” said Dr. Vera Etches, Ottawa’s top local public health official.

Still, health authorities warn the situation in Canada and abroad has been changing rapidly and everyone needs to be ready to adjust.

“For event planners, I would say you need to do a risk assessment on an ongoing basis,” Bonnie Henry, the B.C. health officer.

Laura Osman, The Canadian Press

Coronavirus

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Days Inn and Super 8 offering reduced rates for healthcare workers

This move comes to help protect their families and immuno-compromised individuals

HAPHAZARD HISTORY: Family connection to history of Springhouse school

Columnist Barry Sale’s father taught during the 1930s at the one-room school

Cariboo real estate sales stall, decline due to struggling resource industries, COVID-19

Sales down in every Cariboo city over the same time last year

Keeping B.C. together while staying apart, Royal BC Museum creates webinar series

Museum and archives responds to COVID-19 with online programs for all ages

Williams Lake city council to meet by teleconferencing due to COVID-19

Williams Lake city council will be holding its meetings by teleconference during… Continue reading

VIDEO: How doctors in Canada will decide who lives and dies if pandemic worsens

Officials in several provinces have been developing guides so that doctors don’t feel alone

Two people fined after B.C. police spot online ads re-selling 5,000 surgical, N95 masks

Police confiscated the masks, being sold at inflated prices, and now working with Fraser Health

General exposure to public low after inmate tests positive for COVID-19: Interior Health

The Okanagan Correctional Centre inmate is receiving appropriate care

Sex workers face new risks during COVID-19 pandemic

‘Desperation has kicked in’ for vulnerable, undocumented workers unable to access help

Unclear if Cowichan couple refusing to self-isolate will face penalty

No fines or charges have been laid to date, including Cowichan couple who won’t self isolate

Sinclar Group curtailing all sawmill operations temporarily

Nechako Lumber, Apollo Forest Products and Lakeland Mills to be curtailed for three weeks starting April 5.

COVID-19: Postponed surgeries will be done, B.C. health minister says

Contract with private surgical clinic to help clear backlog

Black Press Media ad sparks discussion about value of community newspapers

White Rock resident hopes front-page note shines light on revenue loss during COVID-19 crisis

Most Read