Falls are the leading cause of injury for seniors.
To help protect yourself from falls, follow these tips:
In the bathroom:
• Use a rubber bath mat for the tub and shower.
• Install grab bars by the toilet and bath to help you sit and stand.
• Use a bath seat in the shower and a raised toilet seat, if you need them.
• Wipe up any moisture or spills right away.
In the living room and bedroom:
• Reduce clutter.
• Have good lighting throughout the house.
• Make sure paths are clear between rooms.
• Move slowly out of your bed or chair.
In the kitchen:
• Store kitchen supplies in easy-to-reach locations.
• Store heavy items in lower cupboards.
• Use a stable step stool with a safety rail for reaching high places.
• Always wipe up spills immediately.
• If you use floor wax, use the non-skid kind.
• Ask for help with tasks that you feel you cannot do safely on your own.
• Make sure your stairs are well lit.
• Have solid handrails on both sides of the stairway.
• Remove your reading glasses when you go up or down stairs.
• Never rush up or down your stairs.
Around the exterior of your home:
• Keep front steps and walkways in good repair and free of snow, ice and leaves.
• Keep the front entrance well lit.
• Put tools away when you are not using them.