Scout Island Nature Centre’s annual spring yard and garden sale is this Saturday, May 9 from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the nature centre.
The event features interesting house and garden plants, bird houses, household treasures, plus sport, outdoor and garden items.
The fundraiser helps the Williams Lake Field Naturalists to provide a bursary for a student.
The naturalists depend on a great deal of volunteer help and community donations for upkeep of Scout Island and to provide the many educational events and programs for students and adults throughout the year.
Projects worked on in 2014 include the following reports nature centre educator Sue Hemphill:
• Maintain trails and lookouts (flood repairs, move boardwalks in and out, pruning, path repair).
• Ongoing weed control.
• Ongoing habitat enhancement through tree planting and tree maintenance.
• Ongoing maintenance of irrigation system.
• Further upgrades to the north marsh trail.
• Habitat enhancement on the north edge of Scout Island Marsh including the area behind Kal Tire (ongoing).
• Completed renovation of the caretaker’s bathroom.
• Energy upgrades to the caretaker’s house. New roof and roof insulation was completed.
More upgrades are planned for 2015 to maintain the integrity of this heritage building.
• Due to high water levels bridge protection for the new bridge was completed.