Vintage Hollywood is the theme for the 2014 Dry Grad party taking place at the Cariboo Memorial Complex Saturday, June 7.
As in past years the organizing committee is seeking support from parents and the public through a variety of fundraising events taking place between now and then, and of course on the night itself says Marilyn Strohschein, the Dry Grad 2014 communications representative.
The major fundraiser is the Dry Grad 2014 truck raffle.
“This year the grand prize for our truck raffle is a 1998 GMC Sierra 4×4 extended auto,” Strohschein says.
Second prize is a six-foot, hand-crafted log bench, donated by Pioneer Log Homes.
Third prize is two tickets to a BC Lions home game, plus two, $200 vouchers from Central Mountain Air.
Tickets are $10 and will be available at the various fundraising events taking place around the city in which the Dry Grad volunteer participation is needed.
Help will be needed at the following events, Strohschein says.
• The first hot-dog fundraiser is this week at the Brick on Thursday, May 1, Friday, May 2, Saturday, May 3 and Sunday, May 4, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day.
• The Lions/Lioness Mother’s Day breakfast and flea market coming up Sunday, May 11. Volunteers will be needed from 7 to 9 a.m. to set up tables; from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. to sell raffle tickets; and from 2 to 4 p.m. to take down tables.
• At TRU on Saturday, May 24 to help set up tables between 9 and 11 a.m. for the Lions Casino Night.
• The Children’s Festival in Botanio Park, Sunday, May 25. Volunteers will be needed between 8:30 a.m. and 10 a.m. to set up tables and tents; 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. to dress up in costume to entertain kids; and between 3 and 5 p.m. to help with clean-up.
• The Lakers’ Car Club Show & Shine on Third Avenue, Sunday, May 25 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. to sell raffle tickets.
• M&M Meat Shops hot dog fundraiser, Saturday, May 31 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. One or two people are needed to dress in penguin costumes.
• Women’s Contact Society dinner, Friday, June 6 at 3:30 p.m. to help set up tables at the Lake City Secondary School, Williams Lake campus.
• The truck and log bench will be on display at some of these locations and other various locations around Williams Lake.
Parents, students and members of the public who are able to help out with these fundraising events are asked to contact Betty Turatus at 250-392-5074 (H) or 250-302-9412 (C), email@example.com or Chantal Lambert @ 250-398-6432 (H), firstname.lastname@example.org.
Strohschein says the Dry Grad fee has been raised to $115 for 2014 but grads can receive discounts for every fundraiser or promotional event in which they participate.
A $10 discount is provided for every fundraiser and a $5 discount is provided for every promotional event or committee participated in, up to a maximum amount of $60 (four hours minimum/$10).
For more up-to-date information, check out the Dry Grad website, www.wldrygrad.ca or the Facebook page Williams Lake Dry Grad 2014.
“Dry Grad 2014 welcomes everyone in the community to come out and experience this once a year, special event,” Strohschein.