The City of Williams Lake will mark its 85th birthday with a year-long celebration in 2014, and the whole community is invited to join in the free, family-oriented festivities.
The city was incorporated on March 15, 1929.
The main event for the celebration is on May 3 in Boitanio Park and in Rink 2 of the Cariboo Memorial Recreation Complex.
The schedule of events is as follows:
Activities at Boitanio Park
• 8:30 – 10:30 a.m. – Breakfast (Lions Club fundraiser).
• 10:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. Family activities (wagon rides, potato sack races, etc.).
Cariboo Memorial Recreation Complex activities
• 1:30 – 4:30 p.m. – carnival hosted by Maranatha School.
• 5 p.m. community dinner (Rotary Club fundraiser)
• 7 p.m. birthday cake.
• 7:30 – 10:30 p.m. is the family dance, kicked off by the Strings Across the Cariboo-Chilcotin Fiddle Program, with dance music provided by Perfect Match.
“This is a true community event,” says Coun. Surinderpal Rathor.
“The organizing committee is made up of community members, and financial support for the events has come from two dozen generous businesses and individuals,” Rathor says.
“Everyone is invited to the festivities May 3rd, and all of this year’s events,” says Mayor Kerry Cook. “Every resident who lives here or who has lived here has played a special role in making our city the best place in B.C. to live, and I look forward to celebrating Williams Lake together!”