A benefit dance will take place Dec. 3 at the Sugar Cane Community Hall for Bill Mansell, his wife Barb and step-son Joey.
The family lost everything on Nov. 15 when the trailer they were renting on Dog Creek Road was destroyed by fire after a vehicle rolling backwards hit the trailer’s natural gas line.
“Bill has a big heart and that was shown as he watched the fire take all his belongings and at the same time try and console his neighbour who had backed into the gas meter which ignited the fire,” says Mansell’s co-worker Andrea Gilbert, administrative assistant at Nenqayni Wellness Centre, who along with other staff members is organizing the benefit.
Gilbert says Joey kept saying he was fine but Bill did not want to take a chance and had him sent to the hospital. He suffered minor injuries and singed the top of his head, she adds.
Soon after the fire, the staff at Nenqayni quickly decided they wanted to help the family out and began phoning around to find a venue and Sugar Cane offered use of the hall for free.
In addition to the dance, there will be a loonie auction and a raffle.
Gilbert says staff members are buying gifts for the auction and all the proceeds will go to the family.
“Bill was very grateful that no one got hurt and appreciated everyone’s assistance,” she says.
“They have been staying at a hotel since the fire until he can find accommodations. Hopefully, he will find a place soon. Hotel living is not for them, although he is happy that he has a roof over his head at the moment.”
The dance will start at 8 p.m. Tickets are $5.