News

Sparks on a shake roof ignite Thursday's house fire

Firefighters extinguish a house fire in 150 Mile House Thursday afternoon. - Monica Lamb-Yorski photo
Firefighters extinguish a house fire in 150 Mile House Thursday afternoon.
— image credit: Monica Lamb-Yorski photo

Fire destroyed a home in 150 Mile House Thursday afternoon after sparks from a fireplace set a shake roof on fire, said 150 Mile House fire chief Stan McCarthy.

Just before 3 p.m. 150 Mile House was called to attend a structure fire in the 3000 block of Exton Way.

"We got there in six minutes and the house was already burning really fast," McCarthy said Friday.

The beautiful 26-year-old log home, nestled in its own wooded property, belonged to a retired couple. The wife was home when the fire started.

"It was chilly so she lit a fire in the fireplace," McCarthy said.

Sparks flew out from the chimney onto the roof and in less than a few minutes the roof was burning completely.

The roof then fell in, engulfing the home in flames.

"We didn't have a hope in hell saving the house," McCarthy said, noting the basement was saved, although it suffered severe water damage.

Soon after the fire department's arrival, Miocene and Williams Lake fire departments were called in for assistance.

BC Hydro, Fortis and BC Ambulance also attended, followed by a Cariboo Fire Centre crew who checked the surrounding forest for any possible fire dangers.

McCarthy said fire fighters remained on scene mopping up until around 8 p.m.

The homeowners do have fire insurance, but have suffered a great loss, he said, adding he put them in touch with emergency services and they were booked into a hotel overnight.

It was the first structure fire of 2014 in 150 Mile House, McCarthy said.

"There have been wildfires, but not structures burnt until now."

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Virk shuffled to new job after Kwantlen flap
 
Mine breach panel receives submissions
 
Nutcrackers invade local store in time for Christmas
Salmo senior killed in collision
 
RCMP address Safeway bomb threat
 
Woman rushed to hospital after train and car collision
Penticton families receive Christmas cheer with hampers
 
Dognapping victim returned to Penticton SPCA
 
Sounds of the Season

Community Events, December 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Dec 19 edition online now. Browse the archives.