- Our Town
Signs of alcohol poisoning
According to the definition given by the Mayo Clinic alcohol poisoning is a serious — and sometimes deadly — consequence of drinking large amounts of alcohol in a short period of time.
Drinking too much too quickly can affect your breathing, heart rate, body temperature and gag reflex and potentially lead to coma and death.
Alcohol poisoning can also occur when adults or children accidentally or intentionally drink household products that contain alcohol.
A person with alcohol poisoning needs immediate medical attention. If you suspect someone has alcohol poisoning, call for emergency medical help right away (911).
Alcohol poisoning signs and symptoms include: confusion; vomiting; seizures; slow breathing (less than eight breaths a minute); irregular breathing (a gap of more than 10 seconds between breaths); blue-tinged skin or pale skin; low body temperature (hypothermia); passing out (unconsciousness) and can’t be awakened.
It’s not necessary to have all these signs and symptoms before you seek help. A person who is unconscious or can’t be awakened is at risk of dying.